Overview of Cannabis Legislation in Ontario

This chapter provides a summary of your cannabis retail requirements under the relevant provincial legislation, including the Cannabis Control Act, 2017 and the Cannabis Licence Act 2018 and its regulation. This is meant to be a guide. It is not a complete list of all rules and is not legal advice. In addition, you may be subject to federal requirements pursuant to the Cannabis Act.


To open a retail store and sell recreational cannabis, there may be two licences and an authorization that are required from the AGCO. These are:

  • Cannabis Retail Operator Licence (CROL)
  • Cannabis Retail Store Authorization (CRSA)
  • Cannabis Retail Manager Licence (CRML)

All applicants must meet all of the eligibility criteria set out in the Cannabis Licence Act, 2018 and its regulation.

Sole proprietorships or partnerships between individuals may not require a CRML. You should consider the duties performed by individuals to determine if they require a CRML. Please note that the educational requirements must be met.

A cannabis retail store may not sell cannabis unless licensed and authorized by the AGCO, and the retailer must have a supply purchase contract with the Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS). The retailer may only sell cannabis obtained through the OCS..