A break open ticket is a device made of cardboard and which has perforated cover window tabs behind which are symbols revealed by tearing open the cover tab. The winning combination of symbols is specified on the back of the ticket. Break open tickets are also known as “Nevada tickets” or “pull tabs”.
Only the Registrar of Alcohol, Gaming and Racing may issue a licence to an eligible charitable or religious organization for the following:
- Break open ticket lotteries where the licensed organization has a provincial mandate: this type of licence authorizes the sale of break open tickets from one (1) location in each municipality across the province. Contact the AGCO for further information and application forms;
- Break open ticket lotteries conducted in an unorganized territory;
- Break open ticket lotteries conducted on Federal land such as Canadian Forces Bases;
- Licences issued pursuant to section 207 (1)(c) of the federal Criminal Code (lottery schemes to be conducted at a Fair or Exhibition); and
- Break open ticket lotteries where the event is to be conducted in conjunction with another licensed lottery event.
A municipality may issue a licence to eligible local charitable or religious organizations where the break open tickets are not to be sold in conjunction with another gaming event.
If you are applying for a municipal licence, contact the local municipality where you intend to hold the event for more detailed information on the application process, licensing fees and required attachments.
- First time applicants should visit the Charitable Lottery Licensing Overview page for information on what’s necessary to determine eligibility
- A list of participating charities within the Bingo Hall, which must be signed by a representative from each charity
- Municipal approval letter (if applicable)
- Appropriate lottery licensing fee payable to the Minister of Finance
The licensee must conduct and manage the event in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the licence.
Application Forms, Reports and Terms and Conditions
- Break Open Ticket Licence Terms and Conditions
- Schedule of Approved Break Open Ticket Types and Associated Expense Maximums
- List of Approved BOT Manufacturers
- Break Open Ticket Lottery Report
- Lottery Report for Break Open Tickets Sold in Bingo Halls
- Registrar´s Standards – Financial Management and Administration for Bingo Halls where Proceeds are not Pooled
- Application for a Provincial Break Open Ticket Licence
- Break Open Ticket Licence Application