In recent years, the government has taken a series of important steps to modernize the regulation of Ontario’s liquor industry. Through the implementation of key government initiatives and close collaboration with government, businesses and social responsibility and public health organizations, the AGCO has executed a number of positive policy and regulatory updates in support of its mandate to regulate Ontario’s liquor sector with honesty and integrity, and in the public interest.
In 2013, the AGCO launched the “Regulatory Modernization in Ontario’s Beverage Alcohol Industry” initiative, in which it proactively engaged with wine, beer, and spirits manufacturers, liquor delivery services, manufacturers’ representatives, and ferment-on-premise operators to help inform the modernization of its regulatory approach to Ontario’s liquor industry.
Building on the collaborative work conducted as part of this initiative, a number of forward looking policy changes have been implemented to help address challenges identified by stakeholders and to generally support the maturing liquor sector in Ontario, while continuing to regulate in the public interest. These policy changes have addressed, but were not limited to, the sale of VQA wine and cider at Ontario farmers’ markets, manufacturer’s retail stores, tied house licences, manufacturers’ representatives and ferment-on-premise operators. Most recently, the AGCO has worked closely with the government to help implement the recommendations of the Premier’s Advisory Council on Government Assets, most notably the sale of wine, beer and cider in grocery stores.
The AGCO will continue to work with various stakeholders to identify new opportunities for the AGCO to modernize its policies to reduce the administrative burden, enhance opportunities for Ontario-based businesses, simplify regulatory rules, and promote compliance with Ontario’s liquor laws and policies.
Please continue to check this page for regular updates and information relating to the AGCO’s regulatory modernization in Ontario’s liquor industry.
Documents and Publications
- Regulatory Modernization in Ontario’s Beverage Alcohol Industry - AGCO Consultation
- Information Bulletin No.35 – Regulatory Modernization in Ontario’s Beverage Alcohol Industry
- Information Bulletin No.36 – Ontario Breweries Eligible for Two On-Site Retail Stores
- Information Bulletin No.37 – Regulatory Modernization in Ontario’s Beverage Alcohol Industry – Changes to On-Site Retail Store Policies for Ontario Distillers
- Information Bulletin No.39 – Regulatory Modernization in Ontario’s Beverage Alcohol Industry
- Regulatory modernization in ontario’s beverage alcohol industry - Findings Report - March 2014
- Info Bulletin No.41 - Highlights of Recent Amendments to Regulations under the Liquor Licence Act